Monday, June 18, 2012

Object(s) of Devotion


So often it happens, without realizing it, I catch myself going through the motions of life without really looking at what's going on. I try so hard to not let this happen. But sometimes the daily "grind" becomes, well, gggggrindingggg. 

Just getting from one thing to another, checking off one to-do to quickly to move
on to another, I lose the moment. I lose the day.
 
Being busy can be a blessing and a curse. And, lately, I have been going and going.
Then, last week I read this excerpt that kinda stopped me in my tracks:

Whether we realize it or not, at every moment we stand devoted to something—something which we cherish above all others.  It may be money, a job, a person, an ideal, or our own comfort, but whatever it is, it’s the thing to which we orient all our resources, all our interest, and all our hope.

What it is, therefore, matters a great deal, for studies show that what we choose to pursue in life strongly influences our ability to be happy.

Given how influential the thing to which we devote ourselves ends up being, it’s surprising that many people don’t even know what it is they’ve chosen. On the other hand, reasons are like the layers of an onion, one lying inside another, and if we never bother to peel back the outer ones, we’ll never be able to catch a glimpse of the innermost one.

So, I had to go back and look... what have I been devoting my time to?

Designing this new thing.
Working new business.

Trying new things.
Seeing new sites.
Experiencing new sounds.
Enjoying some nature.
Taking it all in.
Bucket-listing.


No comments:

Post a Comment