Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Simple Peace



The other weekend I went to this yoga retreat. I talked a lot about it. (We know this.)
But, honestly, I had no idea what to expect.

I showed up by myself. I was alone. And felt SO alone. Under prepared, I thought, and wondering what the hell did I get myself into. I have to say, I didn't really feel it then... I mean, it was only really a weekend... But I feel like in some ways that weekend has
changed me.

After many inhales and exhales, twists and inversions, I realized that at the end of the day, we are simple. We want health. And we want love. It’s so incredibly easy to forget and sweat the small stuff. 

All my life I’ve gone back and forth with sweating the small stuff. From worrying about my looks, to what people are thinking about me, to stressing out about "next move in life", obsessing for really no reason (orrrr annnyyy reason).

But recently I’ve simplified. I just realized this week that loss is a great teacher. Whenever we lose something, I feel like life is asking us to become more simple…and more happy.

For example, last week, I lost some health and vitality. Each day I woke up in pain. By Friday night, I was in bed as my friends went to the exhibit that I had been wanting to see. It made me realize that to simply have a functioning body is a gift.

Also recently, you know, I’ve lost a relationship. While in it, towards the end, I was always frustrated about something. But now, strangely, it feels like a simple gift just to wake up without emotional pain... no more worrying, wondering, defending myself.

From every loss, big or small, we learn to be more simple, which is really learning to be more happy. It’s such a beautiful thing. I feel stronger, fiercer, quieter, softer. It's such peace.

And I also know now that my body and mind are powerful enough for 8 hours of downward dogs, handstands, and meditation with the best of them. Say wha?!

No comments:

Post a Comment